Friday, March 4, 2011


Minimalist March
WEEK ONE...

 
Well it came and went, my first week as trying to be a minimalist! I went through my closets and got rid of four trash bags of clothes and shoes.I would say that was a accomplishment if it created a ton of extra room, but it didn't... I still need to get rid of more! I also went into a few stores this week and came out with nothing which is the REAL ACCOMPLISHMENT! 
Next week I plan on tackeling the kitchen pantry and my drawers, so wish me luck!


Helpful advice for the "Should I get rid of it" question:

1. If you have not worn it in 6 months (and it is not a fancy dress, suit, or coat), get rid of it.
2. If it does not fit, get rid of it.
3. If it is tooks worn or has holes, get rid of it.
4. If it has been in your closet for 5+ years and is not some amazing stable piece, get rid of it.
5. If you forgot you had it, get rid of it.
6. If you only wore it once and you even regret that, get rid of it.
7. If you change every time you put it on, get rid of it.
8. If you say to yourself, " I might wear it someday" or "It might come back into style" GET RID OF IT.
9. If you find it in your closet and it still has the tags on it, get rid of it.
10.If you think someone else would get more use from it then you do, get rid of it.

What to do with it now?
* Let your friends and family members see if they like anything
* Donate it to a local church or school
* Bless someone in need
* Take it to a clothes drop off station 
* Sell it to a second hand store such as Bufallo Exchange
* Have a garage sale and make some extra money

I hope this help some of my other wishful minimalist... My plan is to put some bags of clothes together and drop them off to local homeless people around San Diego. Thanks for reading and let me know what you have done to become or stay a MINIMALIST!!
-xoxo The Happy Eclectic

2 comments:

  1. Wow congrats!! i just got rid of pretty much all of my clothes too! now i have some serious holes in my wardrobe haha but it was much needed and felt good! I was thinking of throwing a party where everyone brings a set amount of things they want to get rid of or dont use and then everyone trades... that way no one is spending money, but you are still getting something new!!

    i just got rid of all my purses so if youre getting rid of any im willing to maybe buy a few off you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that idea!! I will definitely let you look though my bags once I clean them out that is next on my list!!

    ReplyDelete