Thursday, August 19, 2010

What happened to the recipe cards?

What happened to the days when woman wrote all their secret family recipes on recipe cards and placed them in a box for safe keeping? The American tradition of waiting for the day that mother would let you thumb through her cards for Grandma's secret Thanksgiving stuffing recipe and her famous apple pie have come to an end. Now we run to the internet for recipes wanting to try something new, exotic, and different for our special and traditional meals. Well, I do not like this new fad and I want to give my future children the joy of one day feeling those cards grace their fingertips. Who will join me? Today I decided to start collecting and writing down all my family favorites on cute cards and placing them in my own safe box!!! Here is some help if you feel compelled to join me....



Adorable Printable Recipe Cards!
I just found the cards above on a blog I was reading http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com and I really likes this idea! The cards come in four different colors and designs. 

1.Click on the design you want
2.Type in the ingredients and recipe (or print blank and hand write them)
3.Print them out and store them in your favorite recipe box!


Safe Box
Everyone that knows me knows my obsession with owls!
This is my personal favorite!! I LOVE the wood box and cute recipe cards!

This one would brighten up any kitchen counter






Find these boxes on etsy...
Wood box set and owl box set- Cutthecakedesigns

Vintage Harvest Orange Recipe Box with 3X5 Original Dividers- TwoPoodlePicks

3 comments:

  1. You know it is so true. We do everything on the computer and it is so special to look at recipes that I have from my MOM (who by the way for you who don't know her, she is an amazing cook! and decorator). I encourage all you moms out there to do the same for your daughters and sons. Start writing up recipes in your own handwriting. Leave something lasting! Thanks Richelle for sharing these great ideas!! Hope to read many more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that women should continue to keep the tradtion going. I am one that runs to my box, in fact I have four boxes. I am presently making a box for my granddaughters and one grandson who enjoys cooking. I love your blog and The Happy Electric. Keep up the nice work. Love

    ReplyDelete